Alex Modelski is a Partner in Ater Wynne’s Business Group who began his legal career at Texas Instruments and has spent the last fifteen years advising emerging technology and other high growth companies. Alex provides legal advice and assistance in connection with business formation (corporations, limited liability companies (LLC), partnerships and joint ventures), funding, acquisition and sale of private companies, contract drafting and negotiation, technology licensing, copyright and trademark filing and licensing, patent licensing, computer, multimedia and internet law, antitrust, trade secret and privacy law, nondisclosure and assignment of inventions agreements, website hosting and development agreements, distribution and reseller agreements, leases.
Alex also provides employment law and human resource consulting regarding non-compete, non-solicitation, non-interference, stock options and other incentive plans, employment investigations and disputes.
In May of 2013, Alex received the Global MIT Enterprise Forum Volunteer Award. MIT Enterprise Forum is an all-volunteer, non-profit organization who's mission is to inspire, connect and educate entrepreneurs in the Puget Sound technology and business community. Alex is located in the Seattle offices and also sees clients in Bellevue on appointment.
- Ater Wynne LLP, Seattle, Partner, 2012 to present
- Business & Technology Law, 1999-2012
- Hamilton & Modelski, LLP, 1984-1998
- Texas Instruments Incorporated, Assistant Corporate Counsel, 1982-1984
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D.1982
- University of Michigan, 1979, Philosophy and History "With Distinction" and "High Honors"
- Licensing Executives Society, Member
- Law of Commerce in Cyberspace Committee (Business Law Section, WSBA) 1999 - present
- MIT Enterprise Forum Northwest, Board of Directors (current)
- Intellectual Property Section, Executive Committee 2000- 2004, Washington State Bar Association, Member since 2000
- King County Bar Association, Member
- Washington State Trademark Review and Revision Committee, 2001-2003
- Northwest Entrepreneur Network, past Chairman and Director
- Entrepreneur University, founder and past chair
- “Recent Cyberspace and E-commerce Legislation”, Panelist, May 18, 2012, Washington State Bar Association, Business Law Section Midyear: Staying Ahead of the Curve – Emerging Issues for Business Lawyers
- Washington State Bar Association CLE "Licensing Essentials for Business and Technology Lawyers", 2004 (Co-chair)
- Washington State Bar Association CLE "Intellectual Property Section IP Institute", 2002 and 2003 (Co-chair)
- "Email and the Law of Privacy," Oct. 14, 2001, The Seminar Group
- “Drafting License Agreements - Tips for Successful Transactions," Oct. 2001, Law Seminars
- "Drafting Online License Agreements Top 10 Tips," Dec. 1, 2000, Law Seminars International