Steve Blackhurst has been trying cases in Oregon for more than 30 years. Most of his practice is devoted to representing businesses in commercial disputes. He has extensive experience in both state and federal courts defending a broad variety of statutory and common law claims brought against businesses, directors, officers and shareholders. He has defended investment firms, accounting firms and law firms accused of securities violations and professional negligence. He has litigated cases involving hostile takeovers, disputes among corporate shareholders, and banks accused of lender liability. He also has defended corporate officers and directors accused of breaching their fiduciary and statutory duties or engaging in insider trading.
In addition to trying cases to both juries and judges, Steve is experienced in negotiating settlement of disputes, and in using alternatives to the court system to resolve claims efficiently. He is frequently asked to serve as a private mediator or arbitrator and believes that this experience helps him to be effective when his own clients are engaged in mediation or arbitration.
Steve is listed in Best Lawyers in America (Bet-the-Company Litigation and Commercial Litigation), Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers (General Commercial Litigation), and Benchmark Litigation. Steve has also been named to the Oregon Super Lawyers list from 2006 through 2012.
- Ater Wynne LLP, Portland, Oregon, 1978 to present
- U.S. Department of Justice, Washington D.C., 1973 to 1978
- University of Oregon, J.D., 1973; Order of the Coif; Oregon Law Review
- Pomona College, B.A., 1968
- Oregon State Bar
- Multnomah Bar Association, Officer and Director
- Oregon Law Commission, Past Commissioner
- Oregon Association of Defense Counsel, Past President
- Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference, past Lawyer Representative
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section
- Defended COO of Senior Housing company in lawsuit
- Defended regional health insurer in arbitration concerning software development contract
- Defended bank accused of aiding and abetting customer's Ponzi scheme
- Defended national communications company in dispute over real estate lease (2 week jury trial)
- Defended new employer in dispute over enforceability of non-compete contract
- Defended national bank and international media conglomerate in a federal securities class action
- Defended global law firm in shareholder derivative legal malpractice lawsuit
- Represented Special Litigation Committees appointed to analyze shareholder derivative claims against company’s officers
- Represented CEO of a Portland company in fiduciary duty litigation brought by the company’s founder
- Defended CEO and his business in Oregon securities case arising from failed merger
- Represented global investment firm in investigation by Oregon Department of Justice into Enron-related losses of Public Employees Retirement Fund