Leslie Bottomly’s practice focuses on advising organizations on strategic employment matters and advising healthcare organizations on a broad range of business and compliance matters.
Leslie regularly advises employers on legal issues in hiring, discipline and termination, leave laws, responding to employee complaints, wage and hour compliance, and development of employee handbooks, policies and procedures. Leslie’s clients have employees throughout the United States and around the world. Leslie advises her clients on the employment aspects of business transactions, including conducting due diligence, and drafting employment agreements, and noncompetition, confidentiality and assignment of rights agreements. Leslie also represents employers in proceedings before the Department of Labor, EEOC and state labor agencies. In addition, Leslie conducts training seminars on a wide range of legal issues including leave laws, disability accommodation, and harassment and discrimination. Leslie also conducts independent investigations of workplace misconduct.
Leslie advises a wide range of healthcare-related organizations including physician practices; insurance companies; and managed care organizations. Leslie advises on entity formation; shareholder issues; corporate governance; risk management; employment advice (physician contracts, noncompetition agreements, issues involving clinic staff), regulatory compliance with respect to patient privacy (HIPAA and HITECH); provider contracting (contracts between physicians and a health plans; contracts between hospitals and physicians); and other contracts such as purchasing, software licenses, and professional services agreements.
Leslie currently serves on the Executive Committee of the Health Law Section of the Oregon State Bar and is a former member of the Board of Directors of Raphael House, a non-profit serving the needs of victims of domestic violence. She has recently been named to The Best Lawyers in America® 2013 list in the employment law practice area.
- Ater Wynne LLP, Portland, Oregon, Associate, 1990 to 1999; Partner, 1999 to present
- Northwestern School of Law of Lewis and Clark College, J.D., summa cum laude, 1990
- Stanford University, B.A., Honors and Distinction, 1985
- Northwest Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Association, Board Member, 2002
- American Bar Association
- Oregon State Bar, Health Law Section
- Multnomah Bar Association
- Oregon Women Lawyers
- Society of Human Resource Management
- "Social Media: New Opportunities and Headaches." Oregon Society of CPAs. October, 2010.
- Employment Basics for Start-ups, Oregon Entrepreneurs Network. September, 2010.
- "Legal Issues in Employee Fraud." Oregon State Bar. June 24, 2009.
- "Rightsizing Employee Benefits and Compensation in a Challenging Economy." USI Northwest, May 14, 2009.
- "The Savvy Medical Group Manager's Guide to Recruitment & Termination." OMGMA (Oregon Medical Group Management Association). October 3, 2008.
- "Agency Investigations." Ater Wynne Employment Roundtable. April 17, 2008.
- "Intelligent Investigations of Employee Misconduct." Ater Wynne Employment Roundtable. October 18, 2007.
- "Hiring and Managing Employees," Oregon Entrepreneurs Network (OEN), September 27, 2007.
- "Performance Ranking: Annual Rack & Stack. Is the Force with You? " American Electronics Association Program, January 9, 2007.
- "How to Build, Implement & Defend an Affirmative Action Plan,” NW EEO Affirmative Action Association Program, September 20, 2005.
- “Privacy and Security of Customer Financial Records,” Oregon Land Title Association Program, March 5, 2005.
- “Update on Recent Changes in Washington Employment Law,” Southwest Washington Human Resource Management Association, March 11, 2003.