Dan Larsen is a partner in the Litigation Group of Ater Wynne. Dan has been a litigator at Ater Wynne since 1996. Prior to that, after graduating from law school cum laude, he served as law clerk to The Honorable Robert E. Jones of the United States District Court for the District of Oregon. Dan’s practice focuses on disputes and litigation involving commercial relationships and transactions, including contractual disputes, liability of directors and officers, fiduciary duties, intellectual property comprising trade secrets, trademarks, and copyrights, securities fraud, business torts, and insurance coverage. Dan has appeared in both state and federal courts in Oregon, Washington, and California. In addition to litigation and dispute resolution, Dan advises clients to develop strategies and practices to help avoid litigation and achieve business goals. Dan was listed in Oregon Super Lawyers in 2012, 2011 and 2006.
Dan is an avid windsurfer, downhill and cross-country skier, and tennis player. His more sedentary activities include scuba diving, rollerblading, and road bicycling.
- Ater Wynne LLP, Portland, Oregon, Partner, 2004 to present; Associate, 1996 to 2003
- Law Clerk to U.S. District Judge Robert E. Jones, 1994 to 1996
- Northwestern School of Law of Lewis and Clark College, J.D., cum laude, 1994
- University of Wisconsin-Madison, B.S., 1990
- U.S. District Court, District of Oregon
- Classroom Law Project, a non-profit organization, Board Member
- Owen M. Panner American Inns of Court, Barrister
- Oregon Sate Bar, Litigation Section, Member
- Oregon State Bar, New Lawyers Division, Executive Committee Past Member
- Oregon State Bar, Intellectual Property Section, Executive Committee Past Member;
- Multnomah Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- UBS Financial Services v. Lawrence et al., in suit for misappropriation of trade secrets and breach of employment agreements, obtained injunctive relief against former employees of financial services company
- In re Silver Falls Bank, on behalf of the Federal Depository Insurance Corporation, investigated claims against directors and officers of failed Bank for their negligence, gross negligence and breach of fiduciary duty, and negotiated settlement of $1.3 million to the FDIC
- Truong v. La Cie. Limited, defended manufacturer of computer hard drives in class action lawsuit and, after filing motion for summary judgment to dispose of all claims, achieved favorable resolution
- Morris Ventures v. Full Market Value, Inc., et al., sued current and former officers and directors for securities fraud and, after completion of discovery and pending motions for summary judgment, obtained settlement of entire amount of investment lost in failed venture
- Oregon Nonprofit Company v. Regional Accounting Firm, pursued claims against accountants for malpractice who negligently failed to uncover fraud by the company’s president, resulted in favorable settlement
- SkylarkCo., LTD v. Enway, Inc., successfully placed company in receivership to preserve assets and prevent mismanagement
- Large Manufacturing Company v. Former Employee and Competitor Company, achieved multi-million dollar settlement of federal copyright infringement and trade secret case for large manufacturing company after proving that former employee and a competitor took our client’s software, used it on over 100 projects, and destroyed evidence
- Schnitzer Steel Industries, Inc. v. National Union Fire Insurance Company, member of team that won multi-million dollar insurance coverage issues for business client before litigation filed
- Covansys Corporation v. Karen Fast, after discovery, mediated resolution to recover for client favorable settlement of substantial sums for shares of stock owed under stock option agreement
- eb5 Corp. v. Dan Wendell, won preliminary injunction against former employee to prevent disclosure of confidential and defamatory information
- Team Management v. Vina Deli, et al., won summary judgment finding liability for several hundreds of thousands of dollars in damages and attorney fees for breach of commercial lease and personal guaranty
- Douglas Berry and Dustin Milberg v. WebTrends, Inc., succeeded in compelling fraud claims totaling $8 million into arbitration and reaching final resolution on behalf of company
- Skyward Construction v. Rogers Construction et al., won award of compensatory and punitive damages for fraud
- Brooks v. Pilip, won arbitration award for damages and attorney fees for conversion of client’s property
- Whirlwind, Inc. v. West Oregon Wood Products, defended claim of breach of contract and won arbitration, as well as award of attorney fees
- Venture Mechanics v. Apex Drive Laboratories, won summary judgment and final dismissal with prejudice of claims by investment agent who alleged partial ownership or equivalent damages of newly formed venture
- Quantum Technology Partners II, L.P. v. Altman Browning and Company, et al., won final dismissal with prejudice of shareholder derivative action for alleged breaches of fiduciary duties by directors and officers
- Demand in Shareholder Derivative Litigation, Oregon Association of Defense Counsel (Fall 2009) (co-author).
- The Adequacy of Shareholder Representatives in Derivative Litigation, Oregon Association of Defense Counsel (2008) (co-author).
- Attorney and Accountant Liability, American Bar Association, Litigation Section, Business Torts (Supp. 1997) (co-author).
- Securities Arbitration, Oregon State Bar CLE chapter, Arbitration and Mediation (Supp. 2001) (co-author).