"At Ater Wynne, we bring a TEAM-ORIENTED FOCUS to a client's issues. We're set up to provide the client with the particular expertise it needs without layers of red tape. We do the work with a high level of integrity. We're agile and deft in our responses and confident in our collective abilities."
– Michael (Sam) J. Sandmire, Partner
Akana K. J. Ma
Akana Ma offers clients from around the world practical, creative solutions to business and legal issues involving different cultures, legal systems, and business. He chairs Ater Wynne’s Global Trade Group.
Akana works with companies and individuals conducting business in the global marketplace to help structure international joint ventures; comply with foreign laws and regulations; license and protect technology, trademarks, software and other intellectual property; negotiate contracts for the sale and distribution of products and services; establish foreign offices, license and finance exports; and comply with customs and import laws and regulations.
He has practiced international law for more than 25 years. Akana is a member of the District Export Council for Oregon and Southwest Washington, a USDOC-appointed group that provides local companies with information about export issues. He is also a founding member of Legal Counsel International, a global alliance of international lawyers and law firms helping clients engaged in a wide range of international business transactions. Akana was featured in the Oregon State Bar Bulletin as one of a handful of Oregon attorneys with China trade expertise.
Akana lectures widely at regional and national conferences on the subject of U.S. Export Controls compliance, the international protection of intellectual property, as well as other international trade topics. To view Akana's past Global Trade presentations please click here.
- Ater Wynne LLP, Portland, Oregon, Partner, 2008 to present; Of Counsel, 2005 to 2007
- A.K. Ma and Associates, Attorney at Law, Portland, Oregon, 1996 to 2005
- Stone and Webster Engineering Corporation, Boston, Massachusetts, Contract Counsel, 1993 to 1996; In-House Counsel, 1990 to 1993
- Kirkpatrick & Lockhart, Washington, D.C., 1985 to 1989
- Boston College Law School, J.D., 1984
- Harvard Law School, East Asian Legal Studies, 1982 to 1984
- Tufts University, B.A. cum laude, 1979
Admitted to Practice
- District of Columbia (inactive)
- Massachusetts (inactive)
- District Export Council for Oregon and Southwest Washington, 2007 to present
- American Bar Association, Division of International Law and Practice
- East-West Center Association
- International Bar Association
- Interpacific Bar Association
- Legal Counsel International
- Oregon State Bar, chair, International Law Section, 2010 to 2011; chair, Executive Committee, International Law Section, 2000
- Frequent lecturer for Portland Community College Small Business International Trade Program and U.S. Small Business Administration
- Mt. Hood Ski Patrol, Director of Associate Apprentice Training, 2001 to 2004
- Oregon State Search and Rescue, Certified Member
Representative Publications and/or Presentations
- Webinar, Pacific Northwest Defense Coalition, A Primer on U.S. Export Controls, July 2013.
- U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act Compliance - Issues For Small and Big Companies - Presentation at the OSCPA Business & Industry Conference. October 2010.
- Key Legal Topics For A Successful International Business - Presentation to the Association of Corporate Counsel, Portland Chapter. September 2010.
- U.S. Exports and Encryption. Oregon State Bar International Law Section Newsletter. March 2005.
- Importers’ Compliance with U.S. Laws. Oregon State Bar International Law Section Newsletter. March 2005.
- Helping Clients Succeed in International Trade. Oregon State Bar Bulletin.November 2002.
- Counsel’s Role in the Export Sales Transaction – Harmonizing Competing Interests. Oregon State Bar International Law Newsletter. Volume XII, No. I, 1998. Pacific Northwest International Trade Association Trade Winds. December 1997. International Lawyer’s Newsletter Kluwer Law. Vol. XX, No. 1, 1998.
- Building an International Vision – In the Global Society (interview). Boston College Law School Magazine. Vol. 1, No., 2. June 1993.