"Ater Wynne is filled with TALENTED PEOPLE who want to make a difference in the lives of our clients and their businesses. We have the depth of practice area experience it takes to be true advisors to our clients."
– Ernie Bootsma, Partner
L. David Connell
David Connell, Chair of Ater Wynne’s Business Department, is general counsel to business and nonprofit enterprises. David began his career as a tax attorney with an international accounting firm and brings his tax and finance experience to the table when advising clients.
David has extensive experience in the emerging growth, technology, nonprofit and social enterprise, energy and healthcare sectors.
He regularly assists clients with transactional and day-to-day business matters, including business formation, governance matters, shareholder and other agreements among owners, financings, mergers and acquisitions, reorganizations, stock incentive and other compensation arrangements, fund formation and joint ventures.
David has been selected as an Oregon Super Lawyer in the area of Business/Corporate, and is recognized by Best Lawyers in America in the area of Business Organizations.
- Ater Wynne LLP, Portland, Oregon, Partner, 2004 to present; Associate, 1997 to 2003
- Arthur Andersen LLP, Portland, Oregon, 1995 to 1997
- J. Reuben Clark Law School, Brigham Young University, J.D., magna cum laude, 1995
- Brigham Young University, B.S., 1992
Admitted to Practice
- Oregon State Bar, Taxation Section
- Albertina Kerr, Governing Board Member, 2014 to present; Executive Committee, 2015 to present; Chair of the Finance, Audit and Compliance Committee, 2017 to present; Chair of the Operations Committee, 2015 to 2017
- Micro Enterprise Services of Oregon, Board Member, 2016 to present
- Acquisition of an in-home primary care and hospice practice
- Sale of an Oregon Coordinated Care Organization
- Establishment of multiple Oregon Coordinated Care Organizations (CCOs) in connection with the initial launch of CCOs in the State of Oregon, including handling issues related to choice of entity, governance, capitalization, contracting with the State of Oregon, and delegation agreements
- Counsel to tax-exempt healthcare organization in connection with a joint venture among multiple stakeholders to develop new models for care
- Counsel to a nonprofit corporation in connection with the disposition of substantially all of its assets
- OHSU Medical Group – Integration with Oregon Health and Science University
- Counsel to a family office in connection with real estate and other investments
- Fund formation for various groups of angel investors
- Counsel to a Tribe in connection with a joint venture for the development and ownership of a solar power facility
- Acquisition of an internet service provider by an electric cooperative
- Dinè Power Authority, a Navajo Nation Enterprise – Development Agreement for 1500 MW Clean Coal Plant; Development Agreement for Navajo Transmission Project; and 200 MW Wind Project Agreement
- FLIR Systems, Inc. – Acquisition of Scientific Materials Corporation
- FLIR Systems, Inc. – Acquisition of Assets of Brysen Optical Corporation
- Four Dam Pool Power Agency, Anchorage, Alaska – Issuance of Electric Revenue Refunding Bonds
- OHSU Medical Group – Equipment Financing; Issuance of Revenue Bonds for the South Waterfront Project
- Open Source Development Labs – Merger of Open Source Development Labs and Free Standards Group to form The Linux Foundation
- Oregon Health and Science University – Acquisition of Oregon Graduate Institute of Science and Technology
- Planar Systems, Inc. – Acquisition of Clarity Visual Systems, Inc.
- Renewable Power and Light – Acquisitions of 85 MW and 65 MW Cogeneration Power Plants; and Listing on the London Stock Exchange’s Alternative Investment Market (AIM)
- TriQuint Semiconductor, Inc. – Acquisition of Peak Devices, Inc.