Ater Wynne has a varied practice in health care law. We advise physicians, dentists, psychologists, practice managers, administrators, insurers, managed health care organizations, hospitals, medical device developers, and other health care professionals on matters related to practice organization, tax planning, insurance, regulatory matters, antitrust and fraud concerns, employment law, privacy regulations, intellectual property, and ethical principles. Ater Wynne has been at the forefront of healthcare reform, forming some of the first Coordinated Care Organizations (CCOs) in the country and advising regarding the contractual relationships between the CCO’s and various business partners.
Typical projects may include:
- forming new healthcare practices
- buying and selling practices
- physicians joining or leaving practices
- developing new lines businesses such as ambulatory surgery centers or medical consulting companies
- assisting in the negotiation of contracts with Hospitals to provide medical services
- negotiation of agreements regarding electronic health records or billing
- reviewing leases for clinics or administrative space
- advising regarding confidentiality of medical information (HIPAA)
- advising on employment issues, such as, how to respond to a report that a nurse is stealing medication
- advising on legal and/or ethical issues, such as, how to document consent, whether the physician must treat a patient, evaluation of malpractice coverage, cyber-insurance and other types of liability insurance coverage
Ater Wynne has participated in many of the most significant health care financings in the Pacific Northwest. We have been a leader in regulatory and legislative work on behalf of the health care professions. Members of our litigation group are active in various areas of health care litigation, including claims relating to drugs, medical devices, antitrust, and government reimbursement policies.
Ater Wynne advises clients on the complex HIPAA, Stark, and antitrust implications of joint ventures, provider associations, physician participation in alternative delivery systems, mergers, and health planning. We have represented the interests of health care providers in litigation involving the conflict between peer review and anti-competitive activity, we have advised on the development of credentialing criteria.
Ater Wynne welcomes the challenge of representing health care professionals. Our firm is committed to providing high quality, innovative, and result-oriented legal services.
- CCO Oregon
- Dynamic Family Organizations
- Emergency Medicine Specialists, LLC
- Eye Health Northwest, P.C.
- eHealth Nexus LLC
- GreenField Health System, LLC
- Medical Society of Metropolitan Portland
- MinuteClinic, Inc.
- Northwest Acute Care Specialists, P.C.
- Oregon Reproductive Medicine Orthopedic International Spine
- The Center: Orthopedic & Neurosurgical Care & Research
- Oregon Emergency Physicians, Inc.
- Oregon Health & Science University
- Orthopedic Specialists
- Professional Therapeutic Community Network
- Retina Northwest, P.C.
- Skagit Radiology, Inc., P.S.
- Sound Inpatient Physicians, P.L.L.C.
- Southwest Washington Medical Center
- Sunset Pediatrics
- Western Washington Medical Group
- University Medical Group
- Organization of large clinical practice entity at academic medical center
- Restructuring of and general counsel to large Medicaid managed care organization
- Acquisition of specialty practices by large physician-owned clinic
- Financing of medical office building for physician practice
- Negotiations of exclusive service agreements for hospital-based physicians
- Acquisition of assets and line of businesses for mental health provider
- Reimbursement and contract negotiations
- Physician employment and shareholder agreements for various clients
- Personnel and human resources counseling and dispute resolution for various clients
- Compensation and compliance advice for physician practices
- Real estate leasing transactions